STARTING A BREAKTHROUGH BUSINESS
(From idea to Product)
As an entrepreneur, the only different between where you are now and where you will be is what you do with your God inspired ideas. Here are 10 global tips on starting a breakthrough business.
1. Dream Big: According to Donald Trump “If you must dream, dream big”. Your idea must be worth the while, worth listening to. Don’t go about carrying stale ideas. Pray, tell God to reveal his deep secrets to you. Your ideas must be bigger than you.
2. Look for Problems: It is said that “problems carry solutions on their back”. Your idea must be a solution to a problem of humanity which will in turn gain monetary value that leads to prosperity.
3. Be Passionate: When every other thing you hoped for is absent, passion keeps you moving. You must be passionate about what you do. Live your life pursuing your passion. It is simple, “If you don’t love what you do then find what you love to do”.
4. Action: “The only difference between a dreamer and an achiever is action”. Stop wishing and dreaming about tomorrow – today in disguise. As an entrepreneur, you must be proactive in whatever you do. Just like the bible says “be a doer and not a hearer” when God reveals something to you. He really wants you to act and not sit back.
5. “From business to company”: We must all be thinking of starting something bigger than us. A company is bigger than you, businesses appear to pass through predictable life cycles, from robust early growth to maturity and then death. Regardless of the industry, it is necessary for you to think about starting a company that involves people not a business just for you alone.
6. Know your market: Running a successful business in Africa requires entrepreneurs to understand the business environment in each country, state, local government, etc for effectiveness.
7. Be Innovative: Successful entrepreneurs in Nigeria must be able to develop creative solutions to the complex environment. Innovation comes with exposure, insight, wisdom, knowledge and understanding. Your mind can travel beyond your physical location.
8. Beyond talent be skillful: Our generation seeks entrepreneurs that have more than a talent. Develop your talent into a skill. It was re-emphasized by Malcolm Gladwell that it takes anyone about 10,000 hours to become an authority in any area of life, that is about 10 years of practice, breaking it down to about 3 hours per day. If you must breakthrough you must practice more than often. I once read a story in the bible that referred to some 700 Benjamites that could sling a stone with their left hand and not miss the strand of a hair. That is beyond talent. As the old saying goes “practice makes perfect”.
9. Customer centric: Always remember it is not about you! Put others first in everything you do. Listen and listen carefully to complaints and what people have to say to you. As they say ‘the customer is king’. Think ahead of time. Ask yourself or ask other people to help you out “what could I improve on?”
10. Integrity in business: Live a life full of honesty and transparency. Above all fear God! The bible says; “Therefore, whatever you want men to do to you, do also to them…” Matt. 7:12 NKJV. The most important fuel you need to keep your business growing is integrity not money not goodwill. Integrity is an automatic referral ‘oh! Mr. John of Johnson & Johnson … he’s a very honest man. He will deliver on time’. That simply separates and elevates you from others. Integrity will take you and keep you in the presence of the great! Ask Sir Mordecai he will tell you more. You can! See you at the top!
Business Strategist and Enterprise Developer